Thursday, August 21, 2008

School Projects

A few weeks ago, I gave my students a couple of projects to work on. I was trying to get creative in my teaching. So, I told them that they had to write a report, and present it to the class...in English.

For the tenth and eleventh grade class, I divided them into groups, and each group picked a state of the good ol' USA. They then had to find out about that state: it's capital, the population, the governor, the topography, the biggest city, etc. They had to then present that information, in English. This, they thought was going to be realllllly hard, and it was, but, with some help from me and others, they got it done: facts found, sentences translated, and posters made. They were so cute on presentation day. I was very proud of the eleventh grade class - I could see that they had worked very hard. They didn't pronounce everything perfectly, but, it was obvious that they had practiced.

My ninth grade class had a slightly different assignment - to present a how-to speech. Classic, yes. They had to pick a subject and present the different steps in English. They also did a very good job. I learned how to plant corn, how to plant beans, and how to make tortillas. The pictures below are from the ninth grade class.

Jose Lorenzo, Edwin, and Favio, with their presentation:
"How to Sow Beans"

Allen, Victor, David and Fredy:
"How to Sow Corn"

Eunice, Marian and Sarahi:
"How to Make Tortillas"

No comments: